Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Makes 6 serving. Each serving, 1⅓ cups. (1 cup shredded chicken and about ⅓ cup sauce)
- 2 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (if large, cut each in half)
- 1 cup diced onions
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce, see shopping tips
- 2 teaspoon ginger (from a jar), see shopping tips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon flour or ½ tablespoon cornstarch, to thicken sauce
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
1. Arrange the chicken breasts in the bottom of the crock-pot. If large, cut int half. Add the onions.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, hoisin, ginger, olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Pour the sauce over the chicken and onions. Cover crock-pot and cook chicken on LOW HEAT for 3-4 hours or on HIGH HEAT 1½-2 hours, until the chicken is fully cooked. (cook time depends on your crock-pot. Mine took 1½ hours on high heat).
3. Using tongs, remove the chicken from crock-pot (reserving the liquids) and place it on a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken into smaller pieces or slice the chicken into thin slices and shred with your fingers. Place the shredded chicken in a large bowl.
4. In a very small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon flour with 2 tablespoons water. Mix well to dissolve. If you using cornstarch, use ½ tablespoon cornstarch and mix with with 1 tablespoon of cold water. Mix well to dissolve.
5. Transfer the liquids from the crock-pot into a small saucepan set over medium-high heat and whisk in the flour or cornstarch. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until it reduces and has thickened slightly, about 4 minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, tossing to combine.
6. Serve chicken over steamed shredded, cabbage or brown rice, if desired. Check Serving Tips, below. Top with sliced scallions, if desired.
7. Any leftovers freeze great.
for 1⅓ cups serving of chicken and sauce
285 cal, 3g fat, 2g sat. fat, 74mg chol, 33g prot, 33g carbs, 1g fiber, 24g sugar, 941mg sod
POINTS PLUS 7