Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Penne with Vodka Sauce, authentic Italian flavor with less calories and fat.
1 Tbsp unsalted butter 2 medium uncooked shallot(s), minced (about ½ cup)
2 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
2 Tbsp fresh parsley, fresh, minced
½ tsp sea salt, or other coarse salt
¼ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
3 Tbsp canned tomato paste
2 oz vodka 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste (for cooking pasta)
12 oz uncooked penne
½ cup(s) heavy whipping cream
20 leaf/leaves basil, fresh, cut into ribbons (chiffonade)
- Heat a large skillet over a medium-low heat. Add butter, shallots and garlic; sauté until shallots start to caramelize, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add parsley, sea salt and pepper, stirring once or twice. Add tomato paste and mix to form a paste. Cook for about 5 minutes, moving paste around pan occasionally; add vodka. Scrap bottom of pan with a wooden spoon and cook for about 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Add cream to tomato sauce; reduce heat to low and simmer for about 3 minutes. Add pasta to sauce and mix to coat; top with basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
- Serve immediately when the sauce is at its creamiest.
- If you prefer a looser sauce, add some pasta-cooking water to the sauce.