Sure- nachos taste delicious, but they probably don’t rank high on the list of nutritious, wholesome recipes, especially when you’re trying to eat healthy! However, you can satisfy your cravings for this classic Tex-Mex snack without worrying about your waistline by subbing in bell peppers for ordinary tortilla chips. This recipe for Bell Pepper Nacho Boats calls for delicious ingredients, like lean ground meat, savory spices, juicy salsa, and melted cheddar cheese.
Instead of lathering the mixture over carb-laden chips, simply stuff the wholesome combination of flavors and textures into nutrient-rich pepper boats! So, eat up!
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 3/4 cup salsa, no sugar added
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- 3 bell peppers
- Remove seeds, core, and membrane from bell peppers then slice each one into 6 verticle pieces where they dip down. Set sliced bell peppers aside.
- Cook ground turkey over medium-high heat, breaking up as it cooks. Cook until the turkey loses it’s pink color and is cooked through. Drain off any fat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cooked turkey with spices and salsa. Evenly distribute mixture into the bell pepper boats, top with cheese. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and peppers are hot.
- NOTE: If you prefer much softer bell peppers, add a few tablespoons water to the bottom of a large casserole dish, add filled nachos, cover tightly with foil and bake 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add additional toppings, If desired.
Optional ingredients: sliced Jalepeno peppers, diced avocado, fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream, or sliced green onions.
Yields: 18 boats | Serving: 2 boats | Calories: 145 | Total Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 293mg | Carbohydrates: 4g | Fiber: 1g | Sugars: 2g | Protein: 13g | SmartPoints: 4 |